Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tidbits and E=mc2

Thought I would share some interesting tidbits as I continue my quest to find worthy video clips on the theory of relativity.  After viewing video clips with Prof Cox & Jeff Forshaw, which included watching the series Wonders of the Universe and Wonders of the Solar System; I decided to begin reading “Why does E=mc2?” by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw; in one word I am mesmerized. This book is written for anyone who has a compelling interest about how things work, and written with easy to understand terminology and uses references to everyday examples.  In reading the preface and the beginning chapter titled space and time, I have said wow probably 10 times and had a tear well up; although I reminded myself from a line in A League of their Own, there’s no crying in physics…or is there?
 
One of my wows, was this beautiful quote…would like to sketch this on a piece of scratch paper and place it in my pocket everyday as my little reminder for life.

                “Science is a discipline that celebrates uncertainty, and recognizing this is the key to its success.”   
 
Another interesting little biscuit of information for one to ponder the magnitude of it all:

“…the earth is moving at about 67,000 miles per hour relative to the sun. If you go to bed at night and sleep for eight hours, you’ll have traveled over half a million miles by the time you wake up. You could even claim that, in about 365 days, your bedroom would have returned to exactly the same point in space since the earth would have completed one full orbit around the sun.”

No comments:

Post a Comment